I know, I'm super late on this post!!! BUT, it's here now! :)
So about a month and a half ago, I mentioned that I was trying out homemade deodorant because I didn't like that regular store-bought deodorants had aluminum in them, and the "natural" ones just weren't cutting it.
I've tried a few combinations of this recipe and the below proportions are the ones I feel have worked the best to start out with...I end up doubling or tripling the recipe occasionally.
What you'll need:
1 1/3 TB Arrowroot Powder (can substitute Cornstarch)
1 TB Baking Soda
2 tsp Coconut Oil
15-20 drops essential oil (optional...I use about 10 drops of Tea Tree Oil for its antibacterial properties and 10 drops of Frankincense & Myrrh from Kuumba Made)
Step 1: mix all ingredients in a bowl (with a fork). This will take a while because the ingredients need to mix well and it will seem as if the dry ingredients are just too much for the coconut oil--they're not...believe me. Just keep at it and it will eventually become the right consistency...the best I can describe the consistency is a harder version of cake frosting.
Step 2: scoop deodorant into container and seal.
Step 3: enjoy!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A few things to note:
1. I suggest only trying this small amount first to see if you actually like it (that way you don't waste ingredients on something you're going to throw away later because it's not for you).
2. If you're unfamiliar with coconut oil, keep in mind that if it's warm, it'll melt down to its liquid form, and if it's cold, it will solidify...believe me, remembering this will save you from wondering what's going on with your deodorant. I usually end up having to re-mix my deodorant every other morning because the house temperature has either climbed or dropped overnight. I just use my finger to mix and it's back to normal (where I can apply it).
3. Since your deodorant will be in some type of jar-like container that seals, understand that you'll be applying it either with your finger(s) or some kind of applicator. You can buy empty deodorant containers as well, but when Ben tried this method, he found too much air got in and dried out the oils so the deodorant didn't work. Click here to see which kind we use.
4. Some people have reactions to the baking soda. Neither Ben or I have had any, but I've heard that when people do have reactions, it is very uncomfortable. One suggestion is playing around with the proportions and using more arrowroot and less baking soda. If you have a bad reaction, though, I recommend that you stop using the deodorant and seek medical attention.
5. This recipe is NOT an antiperspirant. That's good because your body SHOULD sweat. Anyway, you'll sweat, but you won't stink...this recipe works very well in the "smell" department. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment